Tuesday, October 16, 2012


My first Norwegian month

Yes, it has been already one month and time flies in Bergen. After reading more than 5,000 pages of Public Procurement, State aid, Norwegian Law, Norwegian Culture and Health Law I have to say I am highly motivated. The University of Bergen is a fantastic place to study; my colleagues are nice, smart and warm people. They have really helped me with the acclimatization and the city is beautiful.

I am now in the process of reading and coming up with interesting/tentative ideas in which to base my next 4 years of academic work. To all prospective PhD students out there: it is a challenging experience. We go from the “what the law is” approach to “why the law is” approach. I have to think not about what article applies here or what  decision X said, but rather think what legal problem is unsolved, which parts of the puzzle do not fit, what is missing and, on top of that I need to come with something new and creative!

As a suggestion for potential or even already on-going PhD candidates I recommend reading the following book: How to get a PhD: a handbook for students and their supervisors by Estelle M. Phillips and Derek S. Pugh. It is an easy to read, practical and clarifying book. Take a look at it. There are other options available out there but I had the chance to put my hands around this one.


Starting from this week I will try to post a summary of the readings I have been doing with a brief commentary on the works and some suggestions to other students/colleagues. I will try to keep this “habit” so that at least you can get some suggestions/recommendations on which texts to buy depending on what you need.

My Norwegian life

My life cannot be better as it is now. I love living. Norway has provided me with the best of opportunities and I am really happy to be here. I have a great job, I have new friends and I have met the person that makes my days shine in rainy Bergen. 

I love Norwegian food and, for the first time, I ate the national lunch during the Sunday: one slice of bread, some thin layer of butter, brunost (the famous Norwegian brown/sweet cheese) and some paprika. I loved it! 

Matpakke at its best

I am scared I am becoming very used to this life style and I am starting to become more and more Norwegianized. I am really looking forward to start speaking the language (I love the sound of the Telemark dialect, different from the Bergen one) and getting more intertwined with Norway.

Brunost, the national cheese
In sum: if you are thinking about applying to a PhD position in Law by all means consider the University of Bergen as a great option. My experience here, so far, has been outstanding.



No comments:

Post a Comment