Thursday, September 13, 2012

One year of BECCLE

Yesterday was officially my first week in Bergen and I am more than happy to be here. The city is fantastic, the University is great but, the best, is the people. Norway and Norwegians have received me in an extraordinary way and I can only say thank you.

Yesterday, as a coincidence to my first week here, it was celebrated the first year anniversary of BECCLE: http://beccle.no/, the Bergen Center for Competition Law and Economics. As part of my PhD research project I will be working and collaborating closely with this institute. I find this a wonderful opportunity for me to learn from a great team.

To celebrate this one year anniversary several interesting activities were organized. I was kindly invited as the "new one" to attend them and I do not regret a single second. Firstly, a summary of the achievements of BECCLE was given, followed by plans for the future and challenges to face. Afterwards, an interesting lecture on merger control regulation was held (in Norwegian, so that I understood... 2% of what they said) with a very active discussion of the attendees. This was a surprise to me. I am more used to little to no participation from the public in discussions after lectures or seminars and I always felt that I was the "odd one" posing questions or raising my voice on some issue. I am glad to see that the community that I am now part of is open, dynamic and not at all hierarchical.

After such an intellectually dense afternoon everyone gather to have a celebration dinner in an island about 25 minutes by boat from Bergen. What can I say? Norway is painfully beautiful. We had great food, interesting wine selections (our table, the "young table", had a fierce debate on this matter) and above all excellent conversations and warm people. It was a remarkable evening that I will remember with joy and sense of belonging. Thank you guys, you have all made me feel as part of the team.

I am looking forward to celebrating more BECCLE's birthdays in the future.

Happy anniversary BECCLE.

1 comment: